Last year I tried and tried to make no fry latkes. They came out tasting nothing like latkes.
Then I had this great idea to put the latke batter in a cupcake pan and voila- perfect latkes every time!
These have the crispy exterior and tastes just like fried latkes, except you barely use any oil here.
You also don’t need to stand over a pan of oil frying every latke.
If you are looking for a healthier alternative with the same taste as a fried latke, look no further.
And yes, I know the point this holiday is to fry foods (so go for it!), but it’s also to remember how just a little bit of oil went a long way and in this recipe that is definitely the case!
- 5 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large egg
- pinch black pepper
- 1¼ tsp salt
- Olive oil spray or any non stick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Grate the potatoes and onion. Add in the olive oil, egg, salt and pepper and mix.
- Spray your cupcake baking pan well with the oil. Use a tablespoon to distribute the mixture. Do not use all the liquid in the bowl, You should have just a little, otherwise squeeze out most of it.
- Do not fill the cupcake pan too high. You want them to be flatter just like regular latkes.
- After they are all in, press them down a bit then spray the tops with the oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until the tops are browned a little. If the tops aren’t browning for you, put the oven on broil for a few minutes and the tops should brown nicely.
- Allow to cool and use a spoon to go around the edges and under the latkes to lift out of the pan.
Serve with unsweetened applesauce or sour cream.