Last year I tried and tried to make no fry latkes. They came out tasting nothing like latkes.
Then I had this great idea to put the latke batter in a cupcake pan and voila- perfect latkes every time!
These have the crispy exterior and tastes just like fried latkes, except you barely use any oil here.
You also don’t need to stand over a pan of oil frying every latke.
If you are looking for a healthier alternative with the same taste as a fried latke, look no further.
And yes, I know the point this holiday is to fry foods (so go for it!), but it’s also to remember how just a little bit of oil went a long way and in this recipe that is definitely the case!
- 5 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large egg
- pinch black pepper
- 1¼ tsp salt
- Olive oil spray or any non stick cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Grate the potatoes and onion. Add in the olive oil, egg, salt and pepper and mix.
- Spray your cupcake baking pan well with the oil. Use a tablespoon to distribute the mixture. Do not use all the liquid in the bowl, You should have just a little, otherwise squeeze out most of it.
- Do not fill the cupcake pan too high. You want them to be flatter just like regular latkes.
- After they are all in, press them down a bit then spray the tops with the oil.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until the tops are browned a little. If the tops aren’t browning for you, put the oven on broil for a few minutes and the tops should brown nicely.
- Allow to cool and use a spoon to go around the edges and under the latkes to lift out of the pan.
Time needed may vary so keep an eye on the oven.
Serve with unsweetened applesauce or sour cream.