I love eggplant parmesan, but I don’t understand why you would bread and fry each eggplant slice if it ends up getting soggy from the sauce and cheese. This recipe solves that problem. They have the best crispy exterior with a surprise cheesy center. Everything you love about eggplant parm, in bite size! Serve with marinara to dip and you are set.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- Oil, for frying
- Place the whole eggplant on a microwave safe plate and poke holes around it using a fork. Microwave 7-10 minutes or until soft. Allow to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with all the spices.
- Chop up the eggplant into small pieces. Mix in one egg and 1 cup of the spiced breadcrumbs.
- Take about two tablespoons worth of the eggplant mixture and create an imprint in the center using your thumb. Place one cube of cheese inside and pinch the eggplant mixture over it. Roll it in your palms to create a circular shape and be sure no cheese is poking out.
- Roll into the remaining breadcrumbs and set aside. Continue with the rest of the eggplant mixture.
- Heat a large pot of oil and fry the eggplant bites until crispy and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
To make healthier, you may be able to bake these instead of frying. If you do, let me know!